Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Date Night: Valentine's Dinner for Two

Before the idea of Good Eat Revisited came up, I was interested in taking some cooking classes.  I scoured the internets and found cooking courses offered at the community college, Whole Foods, and Sur La Table.  The community college courses required I apply, Whole Food's classes were just demos where you sat and watch,while Sur La Table offered hands on learning, so we went with the later.



I signed Jesse and myself up for the "Date Night" series cooking classes, tailored towards couples, and what better way to start it off than as a Valentines day event.  On the menu was a Frisee and Apple Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette, followed by Rack of Lamb with Mustard-Hazelnut Crust and Truffled Mashed Potatoes, and finally Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Chocolate Ganache for a dessert.


 The setup in the store was a little cramped, but workable.  For the amount we paid, I would have expected to not have to share the workspace with another couple.  There are times when one couple is just watching the other couple putting seasoning on the lamb or chopping apples and shallots or mashing the potatoes.  I would have liked to do it all rather than share.  Then while the lamb goes into the oven to cook, they allow a "break-time" where we are urged to wonder the store.


But all in all, we had a good time, the food was good and the atmosphere was friendly.  I don't think I'll be doing it again anytime soon...or at least I'll pick a class that is harder than just searing the rack of lamb and mashing some potatoes.


Jesse gearing up at our work station
The Champagne Vinaigrette with Julienne Apple Salad
Mashed Potatoes with Truffle Salt and Garlic
Final Dish
Salted Caremel Ice Cream with Chocolate Ganache 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment